List of Papers and Books
- Introduction, Motivation (IM)
- IT Roadmap to a Geospatial Future, Computer Science and
Telecommunications Board (National Academies), 2003 (ISBN: 0-309-08738-4).
- The NASA Digital Earth Testbed.,Jeff de La Beaujardiere,
Horace Mitchell, Robert Raskin, and Ananth Rao, 2000 Conference on
Information and Knowledge Management McLean, VA 8th ACM Symposium on
Advances in Geographic Information Systems, pg. 47-53.
- Spatial Databases: Accomplishments and Research Needs, S.
Shekhar, S. Chawla, S. Ravada, A. Fetterer, X. Liu and C.T. Liu, IEEE
Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Jan.-Feb. 1999.
- Spatial Pattern Recognition in Environmental and Health
Sciences: A Perspective, G. M. Jacques, D. Greiling, A. Kaufmann,
BioMedware and TerraSeer Inc.
- Google Earth , A Project at Google.
- Hess RL, Rubin RS, and West LA, Geographic information systems as a marketing information
system technology, Decision Support Systems, 38(2):197-212, 2004 Nov.
- Spatial Databases: Technologies, Techniques and Trends by
Y. Manalopoulos, A. Papadopoulos, M. Gr. Vassilakopoulos; published by IDEA
GROUP INC., 2005.
- Models for Spatial Data (MSD)
- Max Egenhofer et al., Nine-intersection model for topological
relationship among spatial objects. was published in " Egenhofer M.J. and
- Categorizing binary topological relationships between
regions, lines, and points in geographic databases, Tech. Report.,
Department of Surveying Engineering, University of Maine, Orono, ME 1991.
- Modeling spatial relations between lines and regions:
combining formal mathematical models and human subject testing,
Egenhofer et al, Cartography and GIS, 21(3), 1994.
- Describing topological relationships with vornoi based
9-intersection model, J. Chen et al., IAPRS, 32(4).
- Alternative framework from AI using logic (ask Alex), OGC
Abstract Specifications such as Geometry
specification ; spatial ontology .
- Modelling Geospatial Application Databases Using UML-based
Repositories aligned with International Standards in Geomatics,Jean
Brodeur, Yvan Bedard and Marie-Josee Proulx, 2000 Conference on Information
and Knowledge Management McLean, VA 8th ACM Symposium on Advances in
Geographic Information Systems, pg. 39-46.
- Spatial Pictorgram Enhanced Conceptual Data Models and Their
Translation to Logical Data Models, S. Shekhar, R. Vatsavai, S.Chawla,
T. Burk, Integrated Spatial Databases: Digital Images and GIS. Lecture Notes
in Computer Science, Vol. 1737, Springer Verlag, Dec. 1999. Editors: P.
Agouris and A. Stefanidis.
- Penninga, F., 3D Topographic data modeling: Why rigidity is preferable to
pragmatism. In: Spatial Information Theory, Cosit 2005, Lecture Notes in
Computer Science, Vol. 3693, pp.409-425, 2005
- Query Languages (QL)
- SQL/SDA: A Query Language for Supporting Spatial Data Analysis
and Its Web-Based Implementation H. Lin and B. Huang, IEEE Transaction
of Knowledge and Data Engineering(TKDE), July/August, 2001.
- An Object Model of Direction and Its Implications, S.
Shekhar, X. Liu, S. Chawla, GeoInformatica 3:4, 357-379 (1999), Kluwer
Academic Publishers; A summary of results was among 5 best papers in Sixth
International Symposium on Advances in Geographic Information System(1998).
- Computing and Managing Cardinal Direction Relations, S.
Skiadopoulos, C. Giannoukos, N. Sarkas, P. Vassiliadis, T. Sellis, M.
Koubarakis, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Volume 17,
Issue 12, pg. 1610 - 1623, 2005
- Storage and access methods (SA)
- Indexing Medium-Dimensionality Data in Oracle, K.V. Ravi
Kanth, Siva Ravada, Jayant Sharma, and Jay Banerjee, 1999 ACM SIGMOD
Philadelphia, PA, pg. 521-522.
- Analysis of the Clustering Properties of the Hilbert
Space-Filling Curve, Bongki Moon, H.v. Jagadish, Christos Faloutsos,
Joel H. Saltz, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Eng.,
January/February 2001 (Vol. 13, No. 1), pp. 124-141
- Efficient Concurrency Control in Multidimensional Access
Methods, Kaushik Chakrabarti and Sharad Mehrota, 1999 ACM SIGMOD
Philadelphia, PA pg. 25-36.
- The Effect of Buffering on the Performance of R-Trees,
Scott T. Leutenegger, Mario A. López, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and
Data Eng., January/February 2000 (Vol. 12, No. 1), pp. 33-44.
- Yufei Tao, Dimitris Papadias. "Performance Analysis of R*-Trees with Arbitrary Node
Extents," IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, vol. 16,
no. 6, pp. 653-668, June, 2004.
- Query Processing Algorithms (QP)
- Scalable Sweeping-Based Spatial Join, Lars Arge, Octavian
Procopiuc, Sridhar Ramaswamy, Torsten Suel, Jeffrey Scott Vitter, VLDB 1998:
New York City, USA Subject- Spatial Data, pg. 570-581.
- Optimal Multi-Step K-Nearest Neighbor Search, Thomas Seidl
and Hans-Peter Kriegel, 1998 ACM SIGMOD Seattle, WA, pg. 154-165.
- Processing Object-orientation-based Direction Queries, X.
Liu, S. Shekhar, S. Chawla, Technical Report TR00-030, University of
Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN. Submitted to IEEE Transaction of Knowledge and
Data Engineering(TKDE). A summary of results was accepted in ACMGIS 2000.
- Shashi Shekhar, Chang-Tien Lu, Sanjay Chawla, Sivakumar Ravada: Efficient Join-Index-Based Spatial-Join Processing: A
Clustering Approach. IEEE Trans. Knowl. Data Eng. 14(6): 1400-1421
- Nikos Mamoulis, Dimitris Papadias: Slot Index Spatial Join. IEEE Trans. Knowl. Data Eng.
15(1): 211-231 (2003)
- Jun-Wong Song, Kyu-Young Whang, Young-Koo Lee, Min-Jae Lee, Sang-Wook
Kim: Spatial Join Processing Using Corner Transformation. IEEE
Trans. Knowl. Data Eng. 11(4): 688-695 (1999)
- Yufei Tao, Dimitris Papadias. "Range Aggregate Processing in Spatial Databases," IEEE
Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, vol. 16, no. 12, pp.
1555-1570, December, 2004.
- Haibo Hu, Dik Lun Lee. "Range Nearest-Neighbor Query," IEEE Transactions on
Knowledge and Data Engineering, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 78-91, January, 2006.
- Query Optimization (QO)
- Selectivity Estimation in Spatial Databases, Swarup
Acharya, Viswanath Poosala, and Sridhar Ramaswamy, 1999 ACM SIGMOD
Philadelphia, PA, pg. 13-24.
- Efficient Cost Models for Spatial Queries Using R-Trees,
Yannis Theodoridis, Emmanuel Stefanakis, Timos Sellis ,IEEE Transactions on
Knowledge and Data Eng., January/February 2000 (Vol. 12, No. 1).
- Spatial Networks (SN)
- Hierarchical Encoded Path Views for Path Query Processing: An
Optimal Model and Its Performance Evaluation, Ning Jing, Yun-Wu Huang,
Elke A. Rundensteiner, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Eng.,
May/June 1998 (Vol. 10, No. 3).
- Finding Shortest Paths in Large Network Systems, , Edward
P.F. Chan, Ning Zhang, Proc. ACM Conf. on GIS, 2001.
- Materialization Trade-Offs in Hierarchical Shortest Path
Algorithms, S. Shekhar, A. Fetterer, and B. Goyal, Proc. Intl. Symp. on
Large Spatial Databases, Springer Verlag (Lecture Notes in Computer
- CCAM: A Connectivity-Clustered Access Method for Networks and
Network Computations, S. Shekhar and D. R. Liu, IEEE Trans. on Knowledge
and Data Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 1, Jan. 1997. Csci TR 93-78.
- Qingsong Lu, Betsy George, and Shashi Shekhar, Capacity Constrained Routing Algorithms for Evacuation
Planning: A Summary of Results, Advances in Spatial and Temporal
Databases, Proceeding of 9th International Symposium on Spatial and Temporal
Databases (SSTD'05), Angra dos Reis, Brazil, August 22-24, 2005.
- Jochen Schiller, et al., Location-Based Services, The Morgan Kaufmann Series in
Data Management Systems, 2004, ISBN 1558609296.
- M. L. Yiu, N. Mamoulis, and D. Papadias, Aggregate Nearest Neighbor Queries in Road Networks, IEEE
Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), 17(6): 820-833, June
- Erik G. Hoel, Wee-Liang Heng, Dale Honeycutt, High Performance Multimodal Networks. SSTD 2005: 308-327
- Alminas Civilis, Christian S. Jensen, Stardas Pakalnis: Techniques for Efficient Road-Network-Based Tracking of Moving
Objects. IEEE Trans. Knowl. Data Eng. 17(5): 698-712 (2005)
- Spatial Data Mining (SDM)
- Spatial Pattern Recognition in Environmental and Health
Sciences: A Perspective, G. M. Jacquez et al.
- Yan Huang, Shashi Shekhar, Hui Xiong: Discovering Colocation Patterns from Spatial Data Sets: A
General Approach. IEEE Trans. Knowl. Data Eng. 16(12): 1472-1485 (2004)
- A Unified Approach to Detecting Spatial Outliers , S.
Shekhar, C. T. Lu, and P. Zhang, GeoInformatica, 2003 (A shorter version
appeared in SIGKDD 2001).
- Spatial Contextual Classification and Prediction Models for
Mining Geospatial Data, S. Shekhar, V. R. Raju, P. Schrater, W. Wu, IEEE
Trans. on Multimedia Systems, vol4. No.2, June 2002.
- Statistics for Spatial Data (Wiley Series in Probability and
Statistics), Noel A. C. Cressie, Wiley-Interscience, 1993 (ISBN
- S. Shekhar, P. Zhang, Y. Huang, R. Vatsavai, Trend in Spatial Data Mining, as a chapter to appear in
Data Mining: Next Generation Challenges and Future Directions, H. Kargupta,
A. Joshi, K. Sivakumar, and Y. Yesha(eds.), AAAI/MIT Press, 2003
- Jin Soung Yoo, Shashi Shekhar and Mete Celik, A Join-less Approach for Co-location Pattern Mining: A Summary
of Results, IEEE International Conference on Data Mining(ICDM), 2005
- Rastor Data, Data Warehouses (RDDW)
- Microsoft TerraServer: A Spatial Data Warehouse, Tom
Barclay, Jim Gray, and Don Slutz, 2000 ACM SIGMOD Dallas, TX, pg. 307-318
- WaveCluster: A Multi-Resolution Clustering Approach for Very
Large Spatial Databases, Aidong Zhang et. al., VLDB 1998: New York City,
USA, pg. 428-439.
- Hanan Samet, Aya Soffer, Image Database Systems and Techniques: A Symbolic
Approach, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, ISBN: 1558605495, December, 2006
- H. Samet and A. Soffer. MARCO: MAp Retrieval by COntent. IEEE Transactions on
PAMI, 18(8):783--798, Aug. 1996.
- Po-Whei Huang, Chu-Hui Lee. "Image Database Design Based on 9D-SPA Representation for
Spatial Relations", IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering,
vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 1486-1496, December, 2004.
- Spatio-temporal databases (STD)
- Selected Chapters from "Manolis Koubarakis, The CHOROCHRONOS Approach,
- The link to the whole book.
- Vijay Khatri, Sudha Ram, Richard T. Snodgrass. "Augmenting a Conceptual Model with Geospatiotemporal
Annotations," IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, vol.
16, no. 11, pp. 1324-1338, November, 2004.
- Ines Vega Lopez, Richard T. Snodgrass, and Bongki Moon, "Spatiotemporal Aggregate Computation: A Survey," IEEE
Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering 17(2):271-286, February 2005.
- Mobile objects (MO)
- Walid Aref, ACMGIS 2003, A paper on location based services:
- Nearest Neighbor Queries in Road Networks, Jensen et.
- Processing In-Route Nearest Neighbor Queries: A Comparison
of Alternative Approaches, Shekhar and Yoo.
- Towards Scalable Location-aware Services: Requirements and
Resarch Issues, Mokbel et. al.
- A Predictive Location Model for Location-Based Services,
Karimi and Liu
- Computational Data Modeling for Network Constrained Moving
Objects, Speicys et. al.
- Indexing of Network Constrained Moving Objects, Proser
- A tutourial on location based services, Graham Chen
- "Exploiting Spatial Autocorrelation to Efficiently Process
Correlation-Based Similarity Queries", the 8th Symp. on Spatial and
Temporal Databases, 2003
- Ralf Hartmut Guting, Markus Schneider, Moving Objects Databases (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Data
Management Systems) Morgan Kaufmann, 2005
- Security, Cyber-infra-structure (SC)
- Selected talks at congressional breakfast in Feb. 2004 on GIS and
Homeland Defense : UCGIS page , Direction magazine article
- Spying with Maps: Surveillance Technologies and the Future of
Privacy, Mark Monmonier, U of Chicago Press, 2002 (ISBN 0226534278).
- National Science Foundation Blue Ribbon Advisory Panel on
Cyberinfrastructure, Revolutionizing Science and Engineering through
Cyberinfrastructure, 2003; and
is Cyberinfrastructure? (Appendix A)
- V. Atluri and P. Mazzoleni, A Uniform Indexing Scheme for Geo-spatial Data and
Authorizations, 16th IFIP WG11.3 Working Conference on Database
Security, July 2002.
- Next Generation Application: Sensor N/W, Geo Info. Retrieval, Ontology,
Parallel GIS, etc. (NGA)
- Qishi Wu, Nageswara S.V. Rao, Jacob Barhen, S. Sitharama Iyengar, Vijay
K. Vaishnavi, Hairong Qi, Krishnendu Chakrabarty. On Computing Mobile Agent Routes for Data Fusion in
Distributed Sensor Networks, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data
Engineering, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 740-753, June, 2004.
- Manli Zhu, Dimitris Papadias, Jun Zhang, Dik Lun Lee, Top-k Spatial Joins, IEEE Trans. Knowl. Data Eng. 17(4):
- F. Fonseca and M. Egenhofer,(1999) Ontology-Driven Geographic Information Systems. in: C. B.
Medeiros (Ed.), 7th ACM Symposium on Advances in Geographic Information
Systems, Kansas City, MO, pp. 14-19.
- Efficient Geometry-Based Similarity search of 3D spatial
databases, Daniel A. Keim, 1999 ACM SIGMOD Philadelphia, PA, pg.
- Declustering and Load-Balancing Methods for Parallelizing
Spatial Databases, S. Shekhar, S. Ravada, V. Kumar, D. Chubb, and G.
Turner, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering.
- Vision and Politics
- CRA Grand Challenges in Computer Science
Lowell Database Research Self Assessment: A Report on DB research challenges
and needs, June, 2003
- John F. Roddick, Max J. Egenhofer, Erik G. Hoel, Dimitris Papadias,
Betty Salzberg: Spatial, Temporal and Spatio-Temporal Databases - Hot Issues
and Directions for PhD Research. SIGMOD Record 33(2): 126-131 (2004)
- Related links
- Research and Creativity
- Daniel Saunders, Paul Thagard, Creativity in Computer Science, In J. C. Kaufman & J.
Baer (Eds.), Creativity across domains: Faces of the muse. Mahwah, NJ:
Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- W. C. Booth, et al., The Craft of Research, U of Chicago Press, 2003, 2nd Ed.,
- Bland, Carole J., Anne Marie Weber-Main, Sharon Marie Lund, and Deborah
A. Finstad. The Research Productive Department. Bolton, MA: Anker
Publishing, Inc., 2005.
- Phillip G. Armour, The Five Orders of Ignorance, Communications of the ACM,
43(10), October 2000, pp. 19-22
- D. K. Smith, T. Moores and J. Chang, Prepare Your Mind For Learning,
Communications of the ACM, 48(9), September 2005, pp. 115-118.
- Evaluating Computer Scientists and Engineers for Promotion and
- Computing Research Association, Why choose a Ph.D. in CS?
- Ronald T. Azuma, So
Long, and thanks for the Ph.D.!